Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
The MBBS program is a competency-based, integrated curriculum with the educational objectives expressed as competencies which the graduate doctor should have acquired by the end of the program.
The MBBS program is accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Education, Higher Education Affairs, United Arab Emirates. The outcome competencies of the program are benchmarked with internationally known competency frameworks including the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) competencies, have been adapted to the cultural context of the Arabian Gulf region and are aligned to the UAE National Qualifications Framework at Level 7 [Bachelors].
The duration of the program is 5 years and the curriculum is organized in an organ-system based sequence integrating biomedical sciences, clinical sciences, social/behavioral sciences and patient-care skills. The curriculum is designed to develop a culture of teamwork, scientific enquiry and lifelong learning in the students which are essential for the effective practice of medicine.
The pedagogy used in the MBBS program includes diverse teaching/learning methods to cater to different learning styles of a culturally diverse group of students. More small-group and active learning strategies like Student-led Seminars (SLS), Problem-based Learning (PBL), Team-based Learning (TBL), Virtual-patient Learning (VPL) etc. are used with less number of lectures. Early clinical exposure starting from the first year is the highlight of the MBBS program.
The curriculum is delivered in a number of different healthcare settings including ambulatory and inpatient care, primary health care, emergency, and community settings providing wide experience. Training in the state-of-the-art simulation set-up in the preclinical years provides additional hands-on training during the pre-clinical years.
Assessments are of high standard and benchmarked internationally by the MBBS students taking the International Federation of Medicine (IFOM) Examination (Basic and Clinical Sciences) conducted by the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME), USA.
Graduates are awarded the MBBS degree on successful completion of the 5-year program and passing a comprehensive Exit Examination. The MBBS degree awarded by GMU is recognized by the Ministry of Health, UAE and all graduates are eligible to take the licensing exam in the country to be evaluated for independent practice.
The Vision of the MBBS Program is to pursue excellence in medical education, research and patient care to meet the evolving healthcare needs of the nation and the region.
The Mission of the MBBS Program is to:
- Attract the best students and provide a unique learning experience through quality medical education
- Produce socially accountable competent physicians who will make a significant contribution to the health of the community through evidence-based healthcare
- Prepare medical graduates to pursue postgraduate training in any specialty of their choice and integrate advances in research in the delivery of quality patient-care.
- Attract best faculty who can contribute to the quality of medical education and research
The educational objectives of the MBBS program are expressed as competencies which the graduate should have acquired by the end of the program and is organized around the six ACGME competency domains of:
- The applicant must have completed a minimum of 12 years of school education.
- All applicants must complete 17 years of age on or before the 31st of December in the year of admission.
- The applicant must have proficiency in spoken and written English. The applicant must have passed any one of the following English Language Proficiency Tests with a minimum score as applicable, of 1100 EmSAT Achieve (UAE Standardized test in English Language)/ 500 TOEFL (CBT 173 iBT 61)/ IELTS Academic 5.0/ PTE A (36-44)/ Cambridge ESOL (41)/ or equivalent in any other standardized internationally recognized test approved by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Education – Higher Education Affairs, UAE.
- The applicants from UAE education system offering Advanced Track/Stream or Abu Dhabi Education Council criteria must have secured an overall average of 90% or above marks as per UAE Secondary School Education Standards and should have scored an aggregate score of 80% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
- Applicants from Non-UAE educational systems must have secured a minimum aggregate score equivalent to UAE 90% or above and minimum marks in the Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) as listed below:
|Country||Education System||Minimum Grade requirements as per UAE Grade Equivalence for MBBS program|
(Advanced Track/Stream or Abu Dhabi Education Council criteria)
|Student should secure an overall minimum score of 90% (A Grade) and above in the 12th Grade.
· Completed all 3 Science subjects ( Biology, Chemistry, Physics in 10th, 11th, 12thGrades)
· An aggregate score of 80% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
|India||Indian State Board
|Student should secure an overall minimum score of 80% (A Grade) and above in the 12thGrade.· An aggregate score of 75% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.|
|Indian Central Board/ICSE||Student should secure an overall minimum score of 75% (A Grade) and above in the 12thGrade. An aggregate score of 70%or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.|
|Pakistan / Bangladesh||Pakistan Board Bangladeshi Board||Student should secure an overall minimum score of 75% (A Grade)and above in the 12thGrade.·An aggregate score of 70% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.|
|UK||IGCSE/GCE||Studied in all 3 Science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics in O Level, with a Minimum of:
Cs in ‘O’ level and 2 Cs in any of the two Science subjects in AS or A Level (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics)
|ECTS||International Baccalaureate||Student should secure an overall minimum 25 points, Must have at least 2 Science subject (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics)|
|USA||American Diploma||Student should secure an overall minimum score of 90% (A Grade) and above. SAT(Chem / Math) to be completed.
Minimum of SAT II score of at least 550 in Molecular Biology
- Applicants from any other Non-UAE educational systems not listed above must have secured a minimum aggregate score equivalent to UAE 90% or above as per International Grade Conversion Table published by WES.
- All applicants shall be evaluated for cognitive and non-cognitive traits demonstrating their aptitude for the chosen area of study by the Admissions Committee which includes Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs) and personal interview. Admission is finalized on competitive basis.
Upon graduation, the medical graduates can pursue further career in the field of clinical practice, research or academia. All graduates are eligible to take the licensing exam in the country to be evaluated for independent practice. Medical graduates can work as doctors in hospitals, medical institutions, private clinics, research centres, medical industry and insurance. Medical graduates can specialize in a variety of biomedical or clinical medical professions after completing a period of postgraduate training. Graduates interested in research and academia can pursue a masters and PhD.
Admissions Open | Limited Seats | Apply Now for 2019-20 intake