Professor of Medical Education & Physiology
PhD Neuroscience (Electrophysiology)
David is the Professor of Medical Education and Physiology at the Gulf Medical University in Ajman. He is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and was awarded a UK National Teaching Fellowship in 2009. He is also a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Educators and a Fellow of the Association for Medical Education in Europe, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology.
David’s main work these days is in ensuring that local educational practice at undergraduate and postgraduate levels is informed by the latest research in medical education. He is Director of the Master in Health Professions Education program run jointly by the Gulf Medical University and FAIMER and is the lead for the Center for Health Professions Education and Research in Gulf Medical University.
David is the Editor of the AMEE guides, which are published on-line, as booklets, and as papers in the journal “Medical Teacher”. He is on the editorial boards of Medical Teacher and MedEdPublish. David has published more than 50 papers in education in peer-reviewed, high-impact, journals and over 120 abstracts responses and letters.
David’s research interests are problem-based learning, professionalism, pastoral care, and the factors that influence senior colleagues in deciding how much of their time and energy they will devote to education and working with students.
David is a visiting Professor of the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-Sen University Medical School in China, and an Honorary Fellow of the Institute for Public Health and Policy and the Centre for Higher Education Studies of the University of Liverpool.
Outside the Gulf Medical University David also works with
- the Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
- the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME)
- the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-Sen University Medical School in China,
- the Medical University of Vienna
- the University of Health Sciences in Lahore
- the Universities of Timisoara and Tirgu Mures in Romania
- the First Moscow State Medical University in Russia
- Tbilisi State Medical University in Georgia
- the University of Liverpool