Bachelor of Science – Anesthesia Technology is a four-year bachelor program that aims at developing health professionals competent to work in surgical care settings with skills specific to anaesthesia and surgical technology.
Anaesthesia and surgical technologists are also referred to as operating room technologists who assist in the preparation of patients, equipment and medications for anaesthesia and operation theatre, instruments, equipment and patients for different surgeries with principles of surgical asepsis and safety. Students enrolled in this major will be able to develop appropriate knowledge and training required to work as a vital member with anesthesiologists, surgeons and surgical team members in the perioperative patient care(preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative phases)
Who is an Anesthesia Technologist?
- Assist surgeons and other medical professionals in hospital operating rooms and similar environments.
- Handle and maintain anaesthesia and surgical instruments and equipment
- Prepare, scrub and circulate appropriate surgical and anaesthetic equipment during surgery.
- Immediate assistant to anaesthetist and surgeon in performing procedures and surgery.
- Assists the surgical team in the event of any complications arising in anaesthetic, surgical or emergency conditions.
- Verify and handles medications, solutions and specimens used in the surgical units.