Bachelor of Science in Anesthesia Technology is a four-year bachelor program aims to develop health professionals who are competent to work in healthcare settings with skills specific to anesthesia technology.
Anesthesia technologists are involved with all aspects of care delivery to patients who are in need for perioperative anesthetic care and provide a key role in the emergency resuscitation of patients, taking into account the patients’ religious and cultural beliefs and respecting their right to medical privacy and dignity at all times.
Students enrolled in this program will be able to develop appropriate knowledge and skills required to work as a vital member with other healthcare professionals in different healthcare settings which are related to his/ her specialty, mostly in the perioperative units, (preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative phases).
The Bachelor of Science in Anesthesia Technology (AT) program learning outcomes are aligned to Level 7 of the NQF Emirates (National Qualifications Framework).
Who is an Anesthesia Technologist?
- Provides pre-operative and intra-operative patient care regarding anesthesia preparation and induction.
- Sets up anesthesia machines/equipment, monitoring equipment, and supplies for procedures per department expectations and according to the scope of practice.
- Anticipates needs by obtaining/preparing proper equipment.
- Delivers needed or required supplies and/or equipment.
- Immediate assistance to anesthetist in performing anesthesia procedures.
- Assists the surgical team in the event of any complications arising in anesthetics, or emergency conditions.
- Maintains the appropriate performance of skills roster/competencies related to patient care including surgical positioning and surgical skin preparation.
- Transports patients in a safe and timely manner according to department protocol.