Gulf Medical University has recently established a Center for Interprofessional Education, Research and Practice (IPERP) with the purpose of fostering interprofessional education and collaborative research and practice. The Center is well positioned to work in collaboration with different Colleges and Institutes within Gulf Medical University and Thumbay healthcare institutions in its Academic Health System. The Center is also well connected with national and international institutions to promote interprofessional education, research and practice. Being a role model in the region, the GMU Academic Health System drives positive changes in health professions education, research and practice in order to best serve the community in Ajman and UAE.
Center for Interprofessional Education, Research and Practice (IPERP)
To be a leading center of excellence in interprofessional education, research, and practice in the Middle East region for sustainable community development and a resource for other universities in the region.
To advance patient-centred collaborative healthcare practice in UAE through integration of interprofessional education, research and practice in order to provide the highest quality of health professions education and patient care.
- Establish integrated educational model promoting inter-professional competencies in undergraduate health profession curricula.
- Reduce barriers between health professions student groups through early implementation of inter professional education.
- Improve collaboration between healthcare professionals to provide the highest quality of patient care.
- Develop a generation of competent clinical leaders who will play a pivotal role in improving patient care through interprofessional collaborative practice.
- Utilize interprofessional research for sustainable community development.
- Mukhtar, M., Thomas, D., Mohiuddin, G.S., Hiselius, J., & Burton, A. Effectiveness of Clinical Pharmacist Collaborative Care in Resolution of Antibiotic Drug-Related Problems in an Intensive Care Unit. The Internet Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2020; 18(1): 1-7. [link]
- Thomas, D., Cooper, J., & Maas, M. (2020). Neuron Model of Interprofessional Education and Evidence-Based Practice. INNOVATIONS in pharmacy, 11(3), 15-15. [link]
- Al-Salloum J, Thomas D, AlAni G, Singh B. Interprofessional Care of Emergency Department Doctors and Pharmacists: Crossing a Collaboration Chasm. Inov Pharm [Internet]. 2020 Jun 9. [link]
- Khan, N.S., Shahnaz, S.I., Gomathi, K.G. Currently available tools and teaching strategies for the interprofessional education of students in health professions: Literature review. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal. (2016) [link]
- WEBINAR ON INTERPROFESSIONAL CARE IN PNEUMONIA (link) (10.10.2020)
- WEBINAR ON INTERPROFESSIONAL CARE IN DIABETES MELLITUS (link) (5.9.2020)
- International Interprofessional EDUCATION (IPE) Experience at GMU (link) (4.3.2020).
- GMU Student group present on their IPE experience at Al-Ain University Faculty Development Workshop in Abu Dhabi – Gulf Medical University (link) (23.2.2020)
- GMU PARTICIPATION IN THE REGIONAL PHARMACY FACULTY DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP ON INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (link) (23-24. 2.2020)
- INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION JOURNAL CLUB BY GMU INBOUND STUDENT EISSA FROM DALHOUSIE UNIVERSITY, CANAD (link) (19.2.2020)
- INTER-PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CASE PRESENTATION ON TYPE 2 DISPLACED SUPRACONDYLAR FRACTURE (link) (17.2.2020)
- INTER-PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CASE PRESENTATION ON DENTAL MANAGEMENT OF A PATIENT WITH DIABETES AND HYPERTENSION (link) (11.2.2020)
- GMU INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION EXPERIENCE WITH A PERIODONTITIS PATIENT WITH DIABETES AND HYPERTENSION (link) (11.2.2020)
- HOSSAM ABDELATTY PRESENTED GMU INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION JOURNAL CLUB (link) (20.1.2020)
- PANKAJ LAMBA PRESENTED GMU INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION JOURNAL CLUB (link) (30.12.2019)
- SYED GILLANI PRESENTS ON INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION AT GMU (link) (28.11.2019)
- HARM D STUDENT COLLABORATES WITH MULTIPLE HEALTH PROFESSIONS STUDENTS ON AN INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION ACTIVITY: DRUG INDUCED FIRST DEGREE HEART BLOCK (link) (28.4.2019)
- PHARMD STUDENT LEARNS TOGETHER WITH PEERS FROM MULTIPLE HEALTH PROFESSIONS AND DESCRIBES RATIONAL PHARMACOTHERAPY IN AN ORTHOPAEDIC PATIENT (link) (11.3.2019)
- PHARMD STUDENT CRITIQUES THE PHARMACOTHERAPY OF A PATIENT CASE AS PART OF AN INTER-PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION SESSION (link) (11.2.2019)
- PHARMD STUDENT PRESENTS ON EVIDENCE-BASED PHARMACOTHERAPY OF SUBMUCOUS FIBROSIS DURING INTER-PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION SESSION (link) (11.12.2018)
- INTER PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION Students presentation. (link) (OCTOBER 2018)
- PHARMD STUDENT PRESENTS ON PHARMACOTHERAPY OF ISCHEMIC STROKE DURING INTER-PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION SESSION (link) (21.11.2018)
- PHARMD STUDENT PARTICIPATES IN INTER-PROFESSIONAL CASE DISCUSSION ON “DECOMPENSATED HEART FAILURE” (link) (8.11.2018)
- PHARMD STUDENT CRITICALLY EVALUATES THE PHARMACOTHERAPY OF “CARDIAC ARREST” DURING INTER-PROFESSIONAL CASE DISCUSSION (link) (30.10.2018)
- PHARMD STUDENT CRITICALLY EVALUATES THE PHARMACOTHERAPY OF PEDIATRIC ENTERIC FEVER DURING INTERPROFESSIONAL CASE DISCUSSION (link) (25.9.2018)
- PHARMD STUDENT PARTICIPATES IN INTER PROFESSIONAL CASE DISCUSSION (link) (30.10.2017).
- IPE PRESENTATION (LED BY COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES- AST DEPARTMENT) (link)
- IPE PRESENTATION (LED BY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE) (link)