The Instructor Essentials Course is designed to prepare instructor candidates to teach AHA instructor-led and blended-BLS Provider course formats. The course educates participants on how to adequately use instructor teaching materials, ensure that students meet learning objectives, offer student coaching skills, provide an objective skills performance evaluation, and follow AHA Instructor and course policies. The course covers core content and discipline-specific content required to teach AHA courses.
Steps to Become an Instructor
There are 4 steps to become a BLS Instructor. For successful completion, instructor candidates must
- Be accepted by an AHA Training Center (TC) before enrolling in an Instructor Essentials Course and have a completed Instructor Candidate Application on file with that TC.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials Course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Even though instructor candidates will be able to teach both BLS Provider and Heartsaver courses after completing the BLS Instructor Essentials Course, they need only a BLS Provider card to take BLS Instructor Essentials.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials Course (Training Center Coordinators [TCCs] may require additional monitoring, if needed).
At the end of the BLS Instructor Essentials Classroom Course, the instructor candidates will be able to
- Identify the prerequisites to becoming an AHA Instructor
- Describe the usability of the PAM
- Describe the core competencies of an AHA Instructor
- Describe the 5 steps of the AHA Instruction Cycle: prepare, teach, test and remediate,close, and keep current
- Describe how to use discipline-specific AHA instructor materials: the Instructor Manual, Lesson Plans, course videos, and skills testing checklists
Who Will Benefit From This Course?
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is an intensive course for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the BLS Provider Course.
BLS instructor candidates must meet certain requirements before taking the Instructor Essentials Course. Before attending the hands-on session (facilitated by Faculty), all instructor candidates must
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be aligned with an AHA TC
- Have a current AHA BLS Provider course completion card
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
Duration: 08:30 AM till 03:00 PM
Registration Fees: AED 1500/-
Thumbay Group Staffs: AED 1200/-
GMU Students: AED 1200/-