|COURSE CODE & TITLE||MBC 16 | Certificate course in Medical coding|
|COURSE DURATION||90 hours|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|PREREQUISITES (General)||Graduate degree or higher diploma in Healthcare field/life sciences,
Graduate degree or higher diploma in any other field with 3 years experience in the hospital and passing the medical terminology eligibility test conducted by the university,
Graduate degree or higher diploma in a field other than health care field / life sciences after successful completion of the Course in Medical Terminology course offered by Thumbay Institute of Health Workforce Development & Leadership
|AWARD||9 CE UNITS|
The program is designed to prepare students for employment in health care settings as a certified professional coder which is in high demand and an emerging career in UAE. This program prepares the student to pass the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) certification exam and become a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Professional Coder—Apprentice (CPC-A).Medical coders are employed in a variety of settings including physician offices, hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and outpatient facilities. They compile, process, and maintain medical records.
The course is taught by experienced certified professional coders and offered in a blended format. Upon completion of this program, the student will have a basic knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology. Medical codes are used in the healthcare industry to describe the clinical condition of patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Detailed code numbers are used to accurately describe diagnoses and procedures performed.The course validates proficiency in the correct application of ICD 10 CM and CPT codes used in medical claims for reimbursement. Once the students complete this coding program they can register for the certification exam.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply medical coding guidelines and regulations.
- Develop an understanding of medical terminologies, human anatomy and physiology.
- Assign CPT codes to descriptive procedures and medical services.
- Assign ICD 10-CM codes for signs and symptoms and diseases
- Use correct codes for the physician office, clinics, hospital outpatient facilities, and ambulatory surgery centers.
- Assign codes to a wide range of services, including evaluation and management, Anesthesia, Surgery, Radiology, Pathology and Medicine.
- Integrate medical coding and payment policy changes into reimbursement processes.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE COURSE
Health care professionals or people employed in the coding or insurance fields who are preparing for the coding certificate examination (CPC/CCA) and looking for a medical coding job.
- Introduction to Medical Coding
- Introduction to CPT manual
- ICD 10 CM manual introduction
- ICD-10- CM Chapter Specific guidelines
- CPT- Modifiers
- CPT Guidelines
|3.||Instructor led discussions|
|Venue of study|
|Thumbay hospital Ajman|
|Continuing Education units|
|The course has been accredited for nine continuing education (CE) units awarded by the University. Although these CE units cannot be transferred to satisfy credit requirements in any diploma or degree level courses in which the candidates may enroll at a future date, they could be counted in advancement of career by the relevant institutions.|
|PHONE: 06 743 1333/ ext: 1400 FAX: 06-7431222
email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com