|COURSE CODE & TITLE||IHC34 Introduction to Health Professionals Careers|
|COURSE DURATION||5 days|
|COURSE AVAILABILITY||Sunday – Thursday during Spring/Summer / Winter break, Saturdays during regular school days|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|PREREQUISITES (General)||Current High school students of (grade 10, 11 and 12)|
|AWARD||2 CE UNITS|
The program titled Introduction to Hospital Careers aims to provide an opportunity to the senior students in secondary schools to develop awareness of how some of the units involved in hospital care function, acquire background knowledge of the career opportunities and to be exposed to the training facilities available to students who wish to choose a career in a healthcare field. The proposed program will be conducted at Gulf Medical University and at Thumbay Hospital.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: The students participating in the program will:
- Become aware of the common specialties in medical and other health professions and the activities associated with them;
- Observe the facilities that university students in health professions training programs use in their learning;
- Engage in selected activities in First Aid and resuscitation based on simulated settings and high fidelity manikins and other equipment;
- Observe how doctors and other health professionals attached to healthcare institutions communicate with patients and their relatives/guardians when offering their services;
- Be able to acquire background knowledge that would help them select undergraduate courses in the health professions that match their interests, capabilities.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE PROGRAM
The program is offered to senior students (Grades 10, 11 and 12) in secondary schools who intend to seek a future career in medicine or any other health professions.
VENUE OF STUDY
- Center for Advanced Simulation in Healthcare, Gulf Medical University
- Thumbay Hospital, Ajman
For academic advising and planning of their study schedule applicants are requested to contact: The Academic Coordinator, The CCECO Coordinator, CME & CPD, Gulf Medical University, Al Jurf, Ajman, UAE.
Continuing Education Credits:
The course has been accredited for two continuing education (CE) credits. Although these CE credits cannot be transferred to satisfy credit requirements in any diploma or degree level courses in which the candidates may enroll at a future date, they could be counted in advancement of career by the relevant institutions.