The Bachelor of Health Sciences-Anesthesia and Surgical Technology is a four-year bachelor program that aims at developing health professionals competent to work in surgical care settings with skills specific to anesthesia and surgical technology.
Anesthesia and surgical technologists are also referred to as operating room technologists who assist in the preparation of patients, equipment and medications for anesthesia and operation theatre, instruments, equipment and patients for different surgeries with principles of surgical asepsis and safety. Students enrolled in this major will be able to develop appropriate knowledge and training required to work as a vital member with anesthesiologists, surgeons and surgical team members in the perioperative patient care(preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative phases)
Who is an Anesthesia and Surgical Technologist?
- Assist surgeons and other medical professionals in hospital operating rooms and similar environments.
- Handle and maintain anesthesia and surgical instruments and equipment
- Prepare, scrub and circulate appropriate surgical and anesthetic equipment during surgery.
- Immediate assistant to anesthetist and surgeon in performing procedures and surgery.
- Assists the surgical team in the event of any complications arising in anesthetic, surgical or emergency conditions.
- Verify and handles medications, solutions and specimens used in the surgical units.