|COURSE CODE & TITLE||CMT 18 Medical Terminology|
|COURSE DURATION||90 hours|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|PREREQUISITES (General)||Certificate of completion of High School with science subjects|
|AWARD||9 CE units|
This course is a prerequisite to all medical courses. By the end of the course, the student will be able to identify, spell, pronounce and define root words, prefixes and suffixes common to medical careers. The student will also be able to use common abbreviations and appropriate reference materials.
At the end of this course the student shall be able to:
- Discuss the legal and ethical components of medical terminology.
- Demonstrate the ability to use medical terms in their proper context.
- Analyze, define, spell, and pronounce medical terms relating to the body structure, function, and oncology.
- Analyze, define, spell, and pronounce medical terms relating to directional terms and anatomical planes and regions.
- Analyze, define, spell, and pronounce medical terms relating to the integumentary, respiratory, urinary, male and female reproductive, cardiovascular and lymphatic, digestive, musculoskeletal, endocrines, the nervous systems and the senses and obstetrics and neonatology
- Discuss careers and career paths requiring medical terminology.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE PROGRAM
Students who are pursing for medical and health education, Medical File Clerk, Medical Records Clerk, Medical Receptionist – General Office or any commerce/arts graduate working in the medical related fields.
|Introduction to Medical Terminology||Components of Medical Terms, Suffixes, Prefixes, abbreviations
|Body Structure, function, and Oncology||Directional Terms and Anatomical Planes and Regions|
|Integumentary System||Respiratory System|
|Urinary System||Male Reproductive System|
|Female Reproductive System||Obstetrics and Neonatology|
|Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems||Digestive System|
|The Senses||Musculoskeletal System|
|Endocrine System||Careers Requiring Medical Terminology|
||VENUE OF STUDY
ASSESSMENT: Pretest / Post-test
For academic advising and planning of their study schedule applicants are requested to contact: The CCECO Coordinator, Office of the Assistant Director, Center for Continuing Education & Community Outreach, Gulf Medical University, Al Jurf, Ajman, UAE.
Continuing Education Units:
The course has been accredited for nine continuing education (CE) units awarded by the University. Although these CE units cannot be transferred to satisfy credit requirements in any diploma or degree level courses in which the candidates may enroll at a future date, they could be counted in advancement of career by the relevant institutions.