Anesthesia and surgical technologists are commonly referred to as surgical technologists or operating room technicians; assist the surgical team in conducting different surgical procedures under optimal conditions. He/she as an integral member of the surgical team will work closely with surgeons, anesthetists, registered nurses and other surgical personnel in the delivery of patient care before, during, and after surgery. Students enrolled in this major develop knowledge and skills required to work in operation theatres, surgical centers, trauma and emergency centers, delivery rooms and as a vital member of the anesthesia care team. This program concentrates on developing skills to perform various tasks including preparation of operating room, organization and maintenance of instruments and equipment and replenishment of supplies which are very often related to general surgeries and anesthesia. A graduate of anesthesia and surgical technology will possess mastery of a broad range of skills to function as an immediate assistant for a surgeon and an anesthetist during the operative procedures.
Who is an Anesthesia and Surgical Technologist?
- Assist surgeons and other medical professionals in hospital operating rooms and similar environments.
- Handle and maintain anesthesia and surgical instruments and equipment
- Prepare, scrub and circulate appropriate surgical and anesthetic equipment during surgery.
- Immediate assistant to anesthetist and surgeon in performing procedures and surgery.
- Assists the surgical team in the event of any complications arising in anesthetic, surgical or emergency conditions.
- Verify and handles medications, solutions and specimens used in the surgical units.