|COURSE CODE & TITLE||LHC15 Legal Fundamentals of Health Care and Public Health|
|COURSE DURATION||45 hours|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|PREREQUISITES (General)||Graduate degree in medicine / allied health programs|
|PREREQUISITES (Additional)||Medical Terminology|
|AWARD||4.5 CE UNITS|
This course is divided into several major topic areas: Ethics, Morals and the Legal System. Classroom sessions will address liability, provider duties, professional licensing, licensing enforcement, medical records, bioethics, end-of-life issues, informed medical consent, and patient privacy
The legal basis for government involvement in the public's health is examined. A general overview of the laws controlling the provision of private sector healthcare including industry and professional regulation, prohibited payment schemes,
After completing this course the student will be able to work in a health care environment and recognize the legal duties and obligations affecting the provision of healthcare in both the private and public sector. The student will also have the skills to conform their actions to legal requirements and ethically analyze daily healthcare situations.
- Recognize when a legal professional should be consulted on issues in public health and health care legal issues.
- Apply relevant laws in the public health environment.
- Employ the overall legal regulation of healthcare as applied to institutions and professionals.
- Evaluate bioethical issues in complex medical decisions.
- Develop cooperative solutions avoiding legal conflict in the health care/public health arenas.
- Apply public health and health care laws to cases on liability, sovereign immunity, patient care medicare, prohibited payment arrangements, public health surveillance, inspection, nuisance abatement, occupational licensing, insurance regulation, and ancillary provider regulation.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE COURSE
Course is open to juniors, seniors and graduate students in medicine and allied health programs.
|ASSESSMENT: Pretest / Post-test|
For academic advising and planning of their study schedule applicants are requested to contact: The Academic Coordinator, Office of the Assistant Director, Center for Continuing Education & Community Outreach, Gulf Medical University, Al Jurf, Ajman, UAE.
Continuing Education Units
PHONE: 06 743 1333 Ext: 401/384